Friday, March 02, 2007

In Luanda!

Well, I made it here safe and sound.  My first day consisted of struggling to stay awake after nearly 4 days of traveling.  The first thing that I noticed when I got out of the plane, besides the incredible heat, was the smell.  Angola has a sweet smell---while that might be attributable to fumes from sewage that stuck in the atmosphere, it is nonetheless a distinct smell.

I'm staying a lovely bed and breakfast call Casa Soleme that is run by two sisters.  It is by far the best place to stay in Luanda because of both it's location (with in walking distance to everything) and its familial atmosphere--everyone eats meals at communal tables.  Plus the crowd it attracts is more aid-worker-ish than some of the bigger hotels that mostly cater to big-name oil and business executives in town for a week or so.

It's so much nicer staying in a b and b than an apartment, as I did last year.  Mostly, there are people around to assist you and my general feeling is that this neighborhood is slightly nicer than the previous one I stayed in.  But mostly, I've never alone or want for people to chat with, though I can see that becoming a bit burdensome with time.

I finally found the energy to make it out of the hotel this morning and bought a local sim card for my cell phone as well as popped my head by the archive to re-introduce myself.  I start there on Monday.  I've also had this funny realization this time around.  I was so nervous and on alert the last time I was here and realized, I think, it's because last year I came from South Africa, where is it decidedly unsafe to walk around and when you do venture "a pé" you have to be TOTALLY alert of what's going on around you.  It helps to be alert here, but the level of violent crime is nothing compared to South Africa.  That said, the earning still come off, I have no bag, and my cell phone remains in my pocket...

So now I'm back in my hotel room with more hours to kill.  Fighting "time" here is futile...even though the archive is open for another 6 hours, there was no way I could start working today...just doesn't work that way.  Oh well, it's ridiculous to try and fight it, rather more productive in the long run to just go with the flow.

I'm supposed to go to Huambo in 2 weeks for 2 weeks, but I wont know until Monday the details about that leg of the trip.

Well, when there's more to write I will.  Have internet access in my room and a computer this time around.

Beijos!

No comments: