Monday, April 03, 2006

Matt and Kate's Travel Blog

Hello World! A quick note. I'm sorry I've been so bad about writing in! Truth is that my days aren't that interesting...just back and forth from the archive. But they are about to get much better as Matt is arriving in 2 days!! We'll be going on safari and a game reserve near the boarder of Botswana called Madikwe then we'll take a drive through the center of the country and end up in Cape Town to do some touring around and taste some wines!

The official word at this moment is that I wont be going to Angola at the end of April...it's a long story but the short of it is that it's too damn expensive and it doesn't have to be. So I'll wait to go again some time next year...but there is still a chance that I may go in May-June with a woman I met who lives in Pretoria and needs to take a trip there. So, as usual, everything is up in the air. As it stands now, I'll stay in SA and tool around to some of the other archives I haven't been able to hit.

Besides that life has been good here. I spend the weekends with friends in Jo'burg which is great. My friend runs a program for girls in one of the worst townships (called El Dorado Park, ironically). Unemployment rate is around 86 percent! And most of the girl's parents either have AIDS or have recently died from it. It's a great support group for them...a time to be children if only for a few hours. We went into El Dorado Park last week to drop off a girl and see her new baby brother. She was lucky, because she lives in a solid structure that has running water and electricity--if you can afford the pay the bill. For 5 children and a mother they had a little bit of corn and some cabbage to get them through the week. It's a real wake-up call...and a reminder to be thankful.

That's it for now...writing this from the archive and I should be doing work!!

No comments: